Sunday 14 April 2013

David Bowie Is.............WOW!

I cannot believe that its been 4 months since my last blog. I feel like I have been hibernating like a hamster through these cold winter months and although the sun has finally begun to shine today, and its possible to venture out into the garden without the safety of a woolly jumper, there is still a cold wind blowing and sporadic rain showers.

Yesterday we ventured out and visited the David Bowie Is exhibition at the V&A. If you have tickets, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. We were admitted at 11.30am (our allotted ticket time) and did not leave until 3.30pm as there is so much to see and experience. Being someone interested in creative sewing, obvious highlights for me were David's clothing, especially the Alexander McQueen Union Jack frock coat worn on the cover of Earthling, clothing from the Reality tour and another stunning frock coat David wore for his 50th birthday celebration (I have always had a love of textile art that is decadent but decayed). However, I was fascinated by the sheer quantity of personal items from David's collection and especially loved the artefacts from his time in Berlin as this is a period of David's music that has a special place in my heart. I had tried to avoid reading too much about the exhibition before our visit as I wanted to be surprised and this certainly worked for me. Therefore, whilst there were many favourite and unusual items I could list in my blog, I refuse to do so in fear that it could spoil the experience for others.

According to press reports the exhibition has sold out, but there is rumour that the exhibition may be extended to meet continued demand for tickets. Let's hope so.

Photos are not permitted inside the exhibition (although the V&A have produced a very detailed book which I recommend) but I did take some photos of the exhibition publicity photos in the tunnel leading from the tube to the V&A and would like to share them here on my blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment